What is Dermaplaning
Dermaplaning is one of the hottest skin care services in the industry right now.
Dermaplaning is not new though. Women in Japan have been using facial “shaving” as an anti-aging treatment for decades. It has only recently taken the Western world by storm.
So what is dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a maximum (physical) exfoliation method that gently removes dead skin cells and vellus facial hair by stroking a blade along the skin.
Sound scary? I hear you, but honestly, it’s nothing short of spectacular. When performed by a trained professional (and I must stress – a trained, licensed professional), the results leave your skin feeling baby soft, radiant, and more youthful than before you entered the spa.
So, I get an overwhelming amount of questions about dermaplaning… due to old wives tales and the abundance of misinformation.
Let’s set the record straight.
* Dermaplaning should only be performed by a licensed Aesthetician, with additional training and certification to provide the service…
* The hair on your face is called vellus hair, as opposed to terminal hair. It is like peach fuzz…very soft. It will not, I repeat…. will not grow back thicker, darker or longer. The only reasons the hair on your face may change would be due to hormonal shifts or age… yep, some of us get a little harrier with time… and not always where we want!
* If performed by a trained professional, dermaplaning should not hurt or leave any type of cuts or nicks on your face. It is very rhythmic, and I actually have clients who doze off during the process. Unless the client moves or reaches to the face, there is no reason that there should be anything but a gorgeous glow on your face when you leave.
* There is no way to predict how long it will be before the hair on your face makes a reappearance, but being that this is a good service to consider as a “maintenance facial”, due to the rate of cell turnover, in a four to six weeks period, trust me, you will be ready to dermaplane again.
* Yes! You can intensify your dermaplaning treatment your adding a chemical peel or microdermabrasion
And, there you have it… dermaplaning 101. I call this service “instant gratification” because in less than an hour we can truly go from a dull, fuzzy face to a glowing, smooth, baby’s bum, soft kind of face. Your skin will look and feel healthier, your products will actually penetrate and provide the benefits intended and your make up will glide on like a dream… that is if you need any make up at all.
Happy Dermaplaning x